- 3 cans of Wertz’s home grown canned beef
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 2/3 cup Miracle Whip
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
For the BBQ Beef
- Place Wertz’s home grown beef into a medium pan and heat until fat is melted and the mixture is boiling.
- In a medium bowl, mix the vinegar, brown sugar, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, honey, salt, pepper, cayenne, crushed red pepper and garlic.
- Stir into the shredded beef so that the meat is thoroughly coated.
- Cover, and continue to cook beef on LOW for an additional 1-2 hours. Add the reserved broth only if necessary to maintain moisture.
- Serve on mini buns, such as King’s Hawaiian rolls and top with coleslaw.
For the Slaw
- Combine the coleslaw mix and onion in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the salad dressing, vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar, salt, and poppy seeds in a medium bowl; blend thoroughly. Pour dressing mixture over coleslaw mix and toss to coat. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.